Research interest: trade policy, economic growth, social protection, human development
- Nepal Macroeconomic Update, Vol. I, No. 2, ADB, August 2013.
- Remittances in Nepal: Boon or Bane? (August 2013), Journal of Development Studies. Vol.49, No.10, pp.1316 – 1331. DOI: 10.1080/00220388.2013.812196
- Renewable Energy Diffusion in Asia: Can It Happen Without Government Support? (August 2013), Energy Policy, Vol. 59, pp.301-311, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.03.040 [co-authored]
- Nepal Macroeconomic Update, Vol. I, No. 1, ADB, April 2013.
- Nepal’s economic outlook (ADO 2013), ADB, 09 April 2013.
- Employing India: Guaranteeing Jobs for the Rural Poor (co-authored report), Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington, DC (Feb 2013). — brief here
- A Study on Nepal-India Trade. 2012. South Asia Watch on Trade, Economics and Environment (SAWTEE). (co-authored)
- Kenya in the EAC and the enlarged COMESA: Challenges and Opportunities. (co-authored forthcoming paper)
- Cash Incentives for Export Promotion in Nepal: Considering Value Addition and Employment. Forthcoming FAO research paper. (presentation here)
- Challenges to investment in South Asia, Trade Insight, Vol.8, No.1, 2012, pp.30-32 (related blog here)
- Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD) projects: Lessons for future policy design and implementation. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology, 19:2 (2012), 116-129. DOI:10.1080/13504509.2012.654410 [Co-authored]
- Evaluating Aid for Trade on the Ground: Lessons from Nepal: Aid for Trade Series; Issue Paper No. 23; International Centre for Trade and Sustainable Development, Geneva, Switzerland. December 2011. (alternative link here) [Co-authored]
- Liberalizing Health Services under the SAARC Agreement on Trade in Services (SATIS): Implications for South Asian Countries. SACEPS Paper No.24, May 2011, Kathmandu, (co-authored)
- “High Food Prices in South Asia: Causes and Solutions“, Trade Insight, Vol.7, No.3-4, 2011, pp.36-39
- Nepalese Banking Crisis Explained. Journal of Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nepal, Vol.13, No.4, 2011, pp.16-20 Kathmandu, Nepal (related link here)
- Food Security and Aid in Nepal. AAMN Research and Policy Brief No. 5, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Food Insecurity: Can Trade Address It?, Trade Insight, Vol.7, No.1, 2011, pp.20-24 (related blog here)
- Agricultural Trade and Climate Change in South Asia, Trade Insight, Vol.6, No.3-4, 2010 (also see this blog)
- The Maoist Insurgency in Nepal: Revolution in the Twenty-first Century, Journal of South Asian Development, 5:2 (2010), 300-303
- “Exploring the link between poverty and growth.” The 2008 Business & Economics Digest (Summer 2008): 34-36.
- Guaranteeing Jobs for the Rural Poor: An Assessment of India’s MGNREGA Public Works Programme, Chapter 6 in ‘Social Protection, Growth and Employment: Evidence from India, Kenya, Malawi, Mexico, Peru and Tajikistan‘ , July 2013, [co-authored]
- Sapkota, Chandan. (2011). Food Prices, Food Security and Aid. In P. Devkota, Changing Paradigms of Aid Effectiveness in Nepal (pp. 159-165). Kathmandu: Alliance for Aid Monitor Nepal.
Conference and other papers
- Can a Good Thing Eventually Become Bad?, Future Development blog. [co-authored]
- Remittances in Nepal. South Asia Seminar Series (SASS), 18 September 2013.
- Cost of economic non-cooperation in South Asia and Nepal. April 2, 2012, Kathmandu
- Study on Nepal India trade. March 23, 2012, Kathmandu (also see this blog)
- High Food Prices in South Asia: Status, Impact and Solution. Presented at ‘South Asian Consultation on Food Justice in a Resource Constrained South Asia’, 26-27 September 2011, Kathmandu, Nepal (presentation slides)
- Optimistic account of the Nepali economy, October 2010
- “Growth diagnostics of the Nepali economy“, April 2009, Dickinson College discussion paper,
- “Growth Diagnostics and its Application to the Nepalese Economy“ (This paper is divided into two parts. Part I is about theoretical stuff and its previous applications. Part II is about the application of this approach to the Nepali economy)
- “Selective Intervention: Addressing Local Constraints to Create Customized Institutions.” Asia America Initiative (AAI), Washington DC, May 2008
- “The WTO, post MFA era, and the Nepalese Garment Industry.” Dickinson College discussion paper 2007
Lectures and events
- Panelist in session ‘Barriers to the expansion of intra-SAARC trade in agriculture and food products‘, 21 December 2012 [Workshop: Regional Consultation on Trade, Climate Change and Food Security in South Asia], Kathmandu
- Lecture on “Current State of Nepali Economy“, Shanker Dev Campus (MBS 2nd year), May 2, 2012 (also see this)
- Lecture on “Spurring Growth During Crisis.” Department of Conflict, Peace and Development Studies (DCPDS), Tribhuvan University (MA 1st year), December 5, 2011
- CGE modeling training, 20–23 September 2011, Kathmandu
- Panelist in COENCOSA workshop in Jaipur (April 16, 2011) and Dhaka (June 28, 2011)
- Lecture on “Binding constraints to growth.” Budhanilkantha School, December 2010
- Panelist in climate change session in 3rd South Asia Economic Summit, 17-19 December 2010, Kathmandu